Air conditioning has a very long history and has become more and more popular in the last few decades. Since HVAC is what we are experts on here at Alltech Services, we wanted to tell you some fun facts about air conditioning that we have learned. We hope that you find these facts as interesting as we do.
- There is not a precise moment in time that air conditioning was invented.
- In ancient Egypt, people used to hang reeds in windows where it absorbed trickling water and cooled the air blowing in through the windows. It also made the air more humid in the hot desert.
- In Ancient Rome, water was circulated through the walls to cool them down.
- In Medieval Persia, they used cisterns and wind towers to cool their buildings.
- Modern air conditioning came in the 19th century, invented by American inventor, Willis Carrier.
- Less that half of Australia’s population has air conditioning, compared to 60% of the United States population.
- Air conditioning is partially credited for advances in medical technology, helping humans live longer and decreasing the spread of diseases as well as increasing employee productivity.
- There is a talking air conditioning unit in the movie “The Brave Little Toaster” who is voiced by the late, great Phil Hartman.
- People all over the globe still flock to movie theaters to beat the hot, summer heat. This trend started in 1917 because the majority of people did not have air conditioning in their homes.
We hope that you enjoyed our interesting air conditioning facts and we hope that it has made you want to install AC in your home. Call Alltech Air Conditioning today and we can make that happen.